You can book your practical driving test on line at www.gov.uk or by contacting DVSA on 0300 200 1122.
On the day of your practical Driving Test, you will be asked to read a car registration number plate from a distance of 20.5 metres. If you need to wear glasses or contact lenses to do this, you MUST wear them at all times whilst driving.
Tell Me questions:
1. Tell me how you'd make sure the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Brakes should not spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
2. Tell me where you'd find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Manufacturers guide, use a reliable pressure gauge check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold. Don't forget the spare tyre and remember to refit valve caps.
3. Tell me how you make sure that your head restraint to correctly adjusted to give the best protection in the event of a crash.
Head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is as high as your eyes or the top of your ears.
4. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure they have sufficient tread depth and their general condition is safe to use on the road.
No cuts or bulges. There should be 1.6mm of tread depth across the central three quarters of the breadth of the tyre around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.
5. Tell me how you would check that the head and tail lights are working. You don't need to exit the car.
Explain that you'd operate the switch. (turn on ignition if necessary). Then walk around vehicle to check.
6. Tell me how you'd know if there was a problem with your anti lock braking system.
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault.
7. Tell me how you would check the direction indicators are working. You don't need to exit the car.
Explain you'd operate the direction indicators, then walk around the vehicle. You don't need to exit the vehicle.
8. Tell me how you'd check the brake lights are working on this car.
Explain you'd operate the brake pedal and use reflections in windows or doors or ask someone to help you.
9. Tell me how you'd check the power steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy, the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey 2 simple checks can be made. Apply gentle pressure on the steering wheel and you should notice movement as the systems begins to operate. Move the steering wheel as you move off. You will also see a warning light on the instrument panel.
10. Tell how you switch on the rear fog lights and explain when you'd use them. You don't need to exit the vehicle.
Operate dipped headlight switch and then turn on rear fog lights. Use in poor visibility when visibility is reduced to less than 100 metres.
11. Tell me how you'd switch the headlights from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on.
Operate headlight switch and check the main beam warning light is on.
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check the engine has sufficient oil.
Identify the oil dipstick. You would take it out wipe with cloth, put it back in and take it out and the oil level should be between the minimum and maximum indicators.
13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check the engine has sufficient engine coolant.
Identify minimum and maximum markings on the coolant header tank. Describe how you would top up to the correct level.
14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check that you have safe level of brake fluid.
Identify the brake fluid reservoir and check the level between minimum and maximum markers.
Show me questions:
1. When it is safe to do so, can you show me how wash and clear the rear windscreen.
2. When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen.
3. When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you'd switch on your dipped highlights
4. When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you'd set the rear demister.
5. When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you'd operate the horn.
6. When it is safe to do so, show me how you'd demist the front windscreen.
7. When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you'd open and close the side window.